Sunday, August 24, 2008

Staying Christ Centered

I recently read the book, At Home in Mitford, by Jan Karon. It is about a quaint southern town and its Episcopalian rector, Father Tim. Father Tim follows up on one of his new parishioners to find that he is having some struggles because other members are "hypocritical" in their lives. They aren't "living their religion." This really struck a chord with me as it is so easy to look at the lives that others live and try to reconcile their behavior with the teachings they profess. In other words, do they walk the talk? (A good question to ask ourselves.) We see this in our own lives and in the lives of members of our church. (My great-grandfather allowed the "hypocritical Mormons" to come between him and the Gospel he loved so much, even after he gave two years of his life in serving a mission to his homeland of Switzerland. His life was sadly empty of the blessings he, at one time, treasured so greatly; he died a bitter man. His children and grandchildren were also recipients of some of his attitudes; some are still suffering because of the choices he made. He allowed the choices of others to determine the choices he made.) I have heard it said, "If I were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict me?" I loved Father Tim's response.

'"Well, Father, you probably won't like hearing this. You know the four things you told me to do when I left that day?"

"Pray. Read your Bible. Be baptized. Go to church."

"Well, I'm going to church. but I've got to tell you that it's full of hypocrites."

Father Tim laughed. If there was ever a popular refrain in modern Christendom, that might be it.

"My friend, if you keep your eyes on Christians, you will be disappointed every day of your life. Your hope is to keep your eyes on Christ."

"Yes, well..."

"I will disappoint you, Pete, they will disappoint you, but He will never disappoint you."

"I was about to say to heck with it."

"Don't quit! Are you reading your Bible?"

"Ah, well...I was."

"And then you quit?"

"You got it."

"Then you can expect to be weak on one of your flanks, and that's precisely where the Enemy will come after you with a vengeance." (1994, Karon, Jan, At Home in Mitford, pg. 327)


HERE IS A NEW RECIPE I CONCOCTED: I made some adjustments to a recipe I found and I believe it is better.

CHICKEN CACCIATORE (HUNTER CHICKEN)
6 Chicken Thighs with skin removed
1 Chopped onion
1 or more Green Peppers (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
1 or more Red or yellow Peppers (seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces)
1 can sliced mushrooms (or fresh sliced mushrooms)
2 or 3 Garlic cloves, minced
1-15 oz can tomato sauce
1 jar or can of whole or diced tomatoes (drain off most of the juice; I use a quart of my bottled tomatoes.)
Other vegetables such as celery, carrots: optional
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano (opt)
Salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste
In a large pan (chicken fryer) spray with Pam. Brown chicken. (I used chicken thighs, but cut up whole chicken or breasts will work too. I prefer bone-in chicken as it is more economical and I believe that it is also more flavorful, but it is up to you.) When chicken is cooked thoroughly and tender, add cut up vegetables, saute until tender but not soft. Add tomato sauce, drained and cut up tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings. Continue to cook until mixture is heated throughout. I served Chicken Cacciatore with a rice mixture I found at Winco. (Wildrice mix) Enjoy!
"Hunter-style" refers to a dish cooked with peppers, onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms. It's more familiar name is its Italian name: Cacciatore (kah-chuh-TOR-ee) This is a very low fat recipe and very delicious! (The recipe I found contains a low 203 calories per serving; I eliminated the oil so it is less than 200 calories per serving.)








No comments: